Friday, January 9, 2009

The Holy Shores of Uncreated Light

In reading through Psalms in this new year, I read something a few days ago in Psalm 6 that has been on my mind ever since. In this particular psalm, David is pleading with God to deliver him from defeat in the face of his enemies. In verses 4-5 he says, "Return, O LORD, deliver me! Oh, save me for your mercies' sake! For in death there is no remembrance of You; In the grave, who will give You thanks?" This verse strikes me. I think that David is asking for God to spare his life because he is a little uncertain of what will happen to him after death. David didn't have the privilege of the New Testament, which reveals the glory that awaits God's people when they die. I would love to have seen the look on David's face when he passed from this world to the next...as he stood and beheld the face of the living God...as his senses were inflamed with the glory of heaven. There is after all remembrance of God in the grave, because for God's people, the grave is not the end. It is only the beginning. I am so glad that this life in this world is not going to be the end for me. I am in a far country, traveling to another far country--the home where I was made to go. It is the same far country that Abraham, Moses, David, all the prophets and all the apostles have already reached by faith in Jesus Christ. By faith, I will reach heaven. And when I die,
You can lay me anywhere,
But just remember this:
When you lay me down to die,
You lay me down to live.
(Lay Me Down by Andrew Peterson)


2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful reminder of God's amazing grace! I look forward to the day when I shall see Him with my own eyes.

Tom Gabbard said...

Your thoughts reminded me of the "New Testament" hope of the great hymn writer Fanny Crosby who wrote..."When my life-work is ended, and I cross the swelling tide,
When the bright and glo-rious morn-ing I shall see, I shall
know my Re-deem-er when I reach the oth-er side, And His smile
will be the first to welcome me.
I shall know Him, I shall know Him,
And re-deem'd by His side I shall stand, I shall know Him, I shall know Him By the print of the nails in His hand.