Friday, January 15, 2010

Free Society

Since getting married, I have started to become more interested in politics and the true nature and purpose of government, thanks to my wonderful husband. So, I have begun reading Freedom Under Siege: The U.S. Constitution After 200-Plus Years by Ron Paul. I don't have a lot of time to elaborate, but here is a short quote I read today regarding individual rights and true free society:

Free choice means that incentive to produce is maximized, since it's assumed that we can keep the fruits of our labor. In a free society, an individual benefits from wise and frugal decisions and suffers from the consequences of bad judgment and wasteful habits. The state should neither guarantee nor tax success, nor compensate those who fail. The individual must be responsible for all of his decisions. Because some suffer from acts outside of their control, we cannot justify the use of violence to take from someone else to "help out". People in need are not excused when they rob their neighbors, and government should not be excused when it does the robbing for them. Providing for the general welfare means that the general conditions of freedom must be maintained. It should never be used to justify specific welfare or any transfer of wealth from one person to another.

3 comments:

Annette said...

More, more, I wanna see more wedding pics! :)

Ashley said...

And you will see them very soon! I will try to post about the wedding, honeymoon, married life, etc. within the next couple of weeks.

Christi said...

Hey Ashley! This is Christi Cavness (I think Matt has told you about us). I keep checking for wedding pictures!! So sorry we weren't able to be at the wedding because I'm really looking forward to meeting you! We're waiting for a visit...come anytime!! See ya later!