Thursday, March 5, 2009

Family Friendly Radio

I listen to quite a few different radio stations when I am driving in my car, three of which are Christian radio stations. One particular Christian station has as it's slogan "Safe for the Whole Family", and their morning show is labeled "Family Friendly". I think that can be a good thing, since much of today's radio is full of nothing but adult content. However, there is something about this "family friendly" station that, quite frankly, annoys me. This morning as I was listening, they played a song by Third Day, called "Call My Name". The song is written from Jesus' point of view, and in the song, He is saying, "When you feel like you're alone in your sadness...call My name and I'll be there." Great song, lyrically and musically. But when the song ended, one of the DJs said something like, "Isn't great to know that when life gets tough, we can just call out to Him, to the Man, and He hears us?" Indeed, this is a glorious truth, but... "the Man"?? This is the title they sometimes use for Jesus. This is not the only time I have heard something like this from this radio station. The rarely ever use the name Jesus or Christ. That is what annoys me so much. Why won't they just say the name of Jesus? Aren't they a Christian radio station? Is this not a free country...at least, for now? They remind their listeners over and over that they are "safe for the whole family", but they won't even speak the name of Christ on the air. Every time I am listening, they use words like 'He', 'Him', 'the Man', or 'the One'. So this morning after the DJ referred to Jesus as 'The Man', I said out loud to my radio, "Just say His name!!" I'm not saying that using these words is wrong or sinful. But it seems like they are afraid to say the name of Jesus on the air. Maybe I am totally misjudging them and blowing this thing way out of proportion...or am I?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Preach it Honey!

Nana Babs said...

Hi Ashley, great post. You know from the way Obama has been idolized lately, they could be talking about him.

I'm with you, I've often wondered why do they use those generic references instead of the name that is above all names, our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Keep up the good work you are doing.

Blessings, Olivia's grandma

Tom Gabbard said...

This seems very odd coming from a station that set up in a Christian format. It gives the same impression as the phrase, "the man upstairs".