Friday, March 27, 2009

Save the Trees....Kill the Children

While shopping at Wal-Mart earlier today, I came upon a large display of t-shirts with pictures and slogans that were all about loving and saving Earth. One such shirt in particular was decorated with a forest of trees and read "Save Our Future". I became agitated, even a bit angry when I saw this shirt. Here's why. First, I want to make clear that I do believe that God has given the earth to man as a stewardship, and that we are to do what we can to take care of God's creation. However, it is mankind that was created in the image of God, not these other parts of creation. So, what about our own kind? What about the hundreds of thousands of unborn babies that are heedlessly slaughtered every year? Are they not the future that we should be giving our lives to save? If we continue killing off our babies, there will be no one left to save the trees! As Casting Crowns has so wisely put it in their song While You Were Sleeping, "We're sung to sleep by philosophies that save the trees and kill the children." America cares more about trees, which have no soul, than about these little ones that, from the moment of conception, have a soul that is immortal. This is why these "Save the Earth" t-shirts make me angry. Not because I think taking care of the earth is a waste of time. But because our priorities are so mixed up. In some parts of Florida, it is illegal to even accidentally hit an alligator with your car. But a woman can go and have her unborn baby murdered...and no one can stop her. The Pledge of Allegiance to our flag states that we are "one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for ALL". This is no longer true. There is not liberty and justice for all people. There is more justice for trees than for little baby boys and girls. I don't understand this philosophy at all, and I am quite certain that I never will. All I can do is pray that God will arise and send forth justice for the unborn and mercy for those who are killing them.

9 comments:

Tom Gabbard said...

Ashley, I have thought the same thing when I have seen news reports of people picketing outside animal shelters in tears and going to any extreme to save or preserve other elements of the natural realm. One thing is certain,we have become an upside down nation, as far as our values and priorities are concerned.

Amanda said...

I agree that more should be done against abortion, but if we completely reversed the situation, the babies we saved would have nowhere to live...we need to find a balance.

Annette said...

Preach it sister! Amen! TOTALLY agree!!!!!!!!! <3 Always loved that line in that song. CC is so clever!

Unknown said...

Amen, Amen, Amen! Great post, Ashley!

Ashley said...

Manda-I agree with the great point you made. There really does need to be a balance. I also think, though, that before a balance can be achieved, there needs to be a great turn around in the way our country and it's leaders view the sanctity of life.

Bobby said...

Hey Ashley,

I have often thought the same things. All the buzz about saving the earth and "global warming". I have often wondered, who are we saving it for? Sadly, this is just more inconsistency from those in power. We for sure need to be on our knees for this nation.

I can't see much of a balance for murder. Just as I couldn't see much of a balance for rape, would that ever be ok?. Children are not a can of beans needing a place to be stored. There is no shortage of married couples looking to adopt. I think from the start we have to operate that murder is never ok.

Hope all is well with you and your family. I miss you guys and the rest of the brethren at the RBC. Keep up the good posts!

Blessings, BM

Ashley said...

Bobby--I agree with you about there being no room for balance when it comes to murder. Murder is sin, whether it's done to an adult or unborn child. I do think that there needs to be a healthy balance between taking care of earth and the people that live in it. However, because we are image bearers of God with immortal souls, people should come before trees.

Bobby said...

Hey Ashley,

I think I misunderstood what was being said. I do agree that there should be a balance. We are to be good stewards of the earth as well as fight against murder. Hope I didn't cause any confusion.

Thanks for the great blog post.

In the Lamb, BM

Anonymous said...

What a selfish world we live in, where a plant takes priority over a life :( Very good post on the subject