Saturday, April 11, 2009

Goodness and Severity

Yesterday (Friday, April 10) several severe storms ripped through Middle Tennessee and other parts of the south, causing a great amount of damage and even a few deaths. A tornado touched down in Murfreesboro, TN, leaving hundreds homeless, and claiming the lives of a mother and her 3 month old baby. For about a 2-3 hour period, my family and I watched a live weather report online, ready to take cover if necessary. In disbelief, I watched the radar screen, as the path of every storm cell missed Goodlettsville (where we live). It was like we were in a little pocket of safety. I am amazed at the "goodness and severity of God" (Romans 11:22). Just 44 miles southeast of us, people are homeless, devastated, grieving, reeling from the shock of it all. And all we experienced was heavy rain. It didn't even hail. My heart goes out to those who have lost everything. And my heart is full to the brim with gratitude and praise to my God, who is ever merciful. My prayer is that His glory would be seen, even in the midst of this devastation.

"The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord." Job 1:21

1 comment:

Tom Gabbard said...

Ashley, I can certainly relate to your feelings of gratitude for God's watchcare. When His providence is so evident during such dangerous weather I always think of the question that the disciples asked on the Sea of Galilee: "what manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him!"