Tuesday, November 11, 2008

All Things

In the last several days, I have come face to face with suffering and the sovereignty of God. Last week, I traveled with part of my family to Missouri for two funerals. Then, earlier this week, I received a phone call from a very dear friend that her sister had lost her unborn daughter in her 7th month of pregnancy. I have seen deep suffering on the faces of family members and heard unspeakable grief in the voice of a friend. Through all of this, I am tempted to ask God, "Where are You? Why are You letting these things happen to the people I love?" But even if I do ask God why, I am almost certain that I will not receive the answer my heart is searching for. I want specifics, I want absolutes, I want the whole story. But our God is not bound by what I want; He is not bound by anything or anyone. That is why He is sovereign. Psalm 115:3 says, "Our God is in heaven; He does whatever He pleases." This verse answers both questions that I previously stated. Where is God? He is in heaven, ruling from His mighty throne. Why are these things happening? He does whatever He pleases in His goodness and righteousness. But there is more. Romans 8:28-29 says, "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son..." This is why Christians experience suffering in this life, in order to be refined in the fire and be made like Jesus. This verse is a promise that all things, both good and bad, easy and difficult, will be used in the lives of God's people to sanctify them and make them like our glorious Savior. I can't think of a better outcome of suffering. Though I don't understand the ways of God, I trust them completely. Though my heart aches for my loved ones who are suffering, I trust my merciful and sovereign God. He is always good. He is ever faithful. And when I am suffering or grieving, I pray that He will give me the strength to cling to Him who is my rock, my mighty fortress. And I will pray for those who are grieving, that those who do not yet know God will come to that knowledge, and that those who do know Him will find in Him an immovable anchor, to keep them and comfort them; and that they will be reminded of those two very glorious words, "all things".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How true! This is a time when trouble seems to be on every hand.
I can't help but recall the story behind the hymn "It is well with My Soul". What tradgedy and loss this man experienced but he was taught by God to look heavenward at God's perfect and good plan and purpose and to rest there. It is easy to have confidence in God and his word when all is well but not so easy when tribulation comes! Jesus made it plain though that such was our lot in this present world. But thanks be to God that as we are experiencing sorrow and troubles that he has promised to never leave us nor forsake us. I think of the Apostle Paul and his firm trust in God's promise and purposes when he asks that question: "Who shall seperate us from the love of Christ"? and "If God be for us, who can be against us"? This sure hope is certainly an anchor in the storms that pilgrims go through!

Ben Ward said...

He gives and He takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

I'm looking so forward to knowing as we are known. I'm thankful for faith--but even more thankful that love is greater than faith. Though we must suffer through these difficult things, great is the knowledge that they are only temporary... and we will enjoy Him eternally.