Monday, October 27, 2008

Be Anxious For Nothing...Pray About Everything

I am continually amazed at how God speaks through the preaching of His Word each and every Sunday morning. This past Sunday, our pastor preached on the topic of anxiety and how Christians treat this as one of those "acceptable sins", as opposed to "really bad sins", such as murder, adultery, etc. However, the fact is, God sees anxiety in the same light that he sees adultery--it is outright sin, nothing more and nothing less. The sermon text was Philippians 4:6-7: "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." All throughout the sermon, I felt as if Christ were standing there, peeling back the layers of my heart and showing me that there is much anxiety there; and I didn't even realize it until that moment. At first I was feeling a little bit helpless and wondering how to conquer this "acceptable" sin in my heart. I realized that one reason why I hadn't been praying regularly was that my heart was full of anxious thoughts; and instead of praying about them, I just kept thinking about them. It's so easy for me to sit down to pray, and then instead of really praying, I just start thinking about things. There is a huge difference between thinking and praying. And I believe that Satan was using my sin to make me just think about my anxieties instead of bringing them before an Almighty God. So, what should I do? Am I really helpless to deal with my sin. Certainly not!! I should be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let my requests be made known to God. I should pour my heart and soul out before Him, the One who already knows my every thought and worry. But let us not forget two very important words in that Scripture verse..."with thanksgiving". What am I supposed to thank God for in the midst of anxiety? It's very simple...I thank Him that He is GOD. He is sovereign when my heart is in turmoil. He is a shelter in the storm. He is holy when I am nowhere close to holiness. He is merciful to forgive my sinful worry. And, if I cry out to Him, "the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding will guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus." This verse doesn't say that my circumstances or situation will change immediately or get better. It may get worse, or I may deal with it for the rest of my life on this earth. It promises a peace in Christ that is far more glorious than my finite mind can comprehend. What a blessed promise this is! I praise God for His peace. I praise Christ for purchasing this peace on the cross. Blessed be His name forever!

3 comments:

Annette said...

Thanks for the message Ashley! I sure miss you!

Bobby said...

thanks for the post Ashley....i think i need to hear that sermon everyday. thanks for the contribution from your own walk.

blessings, bobby

Ben Ward said...

We just listened to Stephen's sermon you mentioned on the way to church this morning and I found plenty of room for its application in my heart as well... The same is true for today's sermon. I thank God for the power of His Word and the Holy Spirit in our lives, the fellowship we have as His people, and for the good gifts He has given to us in our pastors!