Thursday, October 2, 2008

Worry Not

This morning, I was reading in Matthew in the passage where Jesus talks about not worrying about life. In 6:26, Jesus reminds us that God is the one who feeds the birds of the air; they do not have to "sow or reap". Then He says, "Are you not of much more value than these?" Jesus is saying that if God is that mindful of the needs of the birds, who have no soul within them, how much more mindful is He of mankind, who is made in His image and is His "very good" creation (Genesis 1:31)? In this time of corrupt governments and failing economies, it is so easy for me to be anxious about my life and about this nation. But I am so thankful that because of Jesus Christ, I belong to another Kingdom, one that can not be shaken (Hebrews 12:28), whose builder and maker is God (Hebrews 11:10). I am profoundly thankful for the nation in which I live and for the way God has bestowed His common grace upon it. However, my trust is not in America's leadership (present and future), nor her economy. My trust is in my heavenly Father, who knows what I have need of before I even ask Him for it (Matthew 6:8).

Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed,
Because His compassions fail not.
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.
Lamentations 3:22

1 comment:

Annette said...

So true my friend. Just look what God did for us when we chose to pray about it and (try) not to worry. He really does know what we need! :)